Not sure where to go for your next island trip? Redang Island Malaysia may be just what you need for a relaxing holiday!
Look at that clear sea waters on Redang Island Malaysia! Source: medium.com
Redang Island is situated off the coast of Terengganu and it has been a popular destination for as long as one remembers when it comes to diving, snorkelling and enjoying the sandy beaches and clear waters. Redang Island, or Pulau Redang, is part of the protected marine areas, also known as Terengganu Marine Park, which is meant to conserve the ecosystem and biodiversity of flora and fauna of the island.
Usually, visitors tend to flock to the place somewhere in between April to October (preferably before October on the safe side, as the northeast monsoon starts setting in come November). And that’s perfectly understandable, as this is the time the Redang Island weather is just great either for short or long staycations.
Interesting Things to Do on Redang Island Malaysia
Island Hopping Redang Island
Island hopping on Redang Island allows you to explore hidden gems of natural beauty. Source: blog.traveloka.com
So…what to do in Redang Island? When visiting Pulau Redang, one of the activities to do there is to go island hopping either on the island itself or to other islands in the vicinity.
Redang Island is made up of 9 islands in total:
- Pulau Redang (the most happening island)
- Pulau Pinang (not to be confused with Penang Island)
- Pulau Ling
- Pulau Ekor Tebu
- Pulau Kerengga Besar
- Pulau Kerengga Kecil
- Pulau Paku Besar
- Pulau Paku Kecil
- Pulau Lima
Take the opportunity to explore these smaller islands while on Redang Island. Not only that, you could also consider travelling to nearby islands such as Lang Tengah Island and Pulau Perhentian if you are feeling adventurous!
Beaches Redang Island
Redang beach is known to be one of the best Malaysian beaches. Source: flightnetwork.com
Island visits will not be complete without enjoying the beautiful views at beaches. Fortunately, Redang Island is one of the best islands where you can relax (or maybe suntan?) on clean, white sandy Redang beach around the place.
Some of the popular beaches on Pulau Redang include:-
- Taaras Beach (known to be the best beach on Redang Island)
- Long Beach (also known as Pasir Panjang Beach)
- Teluk Dalam Beach (divided into 2 beaches, namely Teluk Dalam Besar Beach and Teluk Dalam Kecil Beach)
- Mutiara Beach
Diving & Snorkelling Redang Island
Enjoy gorgeous views of coral reefs at Redang Island! Source: lagunaredang.com.my
Diving and snorkelling are among the most popular activities on Redang Island – they are among the main reasons why visitors pick this island as their favourite travel destination.
Take the opportunity to explore and enjoy views of the beautiful clear waters and the undersea creatures plus pretty coral reefs when you dive and snorkel at Redang Island Malaysia! You can also take diving courses here from diving schools to get a diving license known as Open Water license or PADI.
You could also check out a shipwreck and swim with turtles as you snorkel and dive at the island – it’s an amazing experience not to be missed!
Such a cute baby turtle! Source: packistnews.blogspot.com
If you are not into water activities, that’s okay. Apart from diving, snorkelling and island hopping, you can go for turtle watching at Pasir Chagar Hutang, which is at the northeast part of Redang Island. The island also has a Marine Park Centre where you can learn more about turtle research and conservation efforts to protect the turtle population and marine life there.
You could also go trekking on the island or play beach volleyball in a group – there’s bound to be something for everyone there that boredom is out of question!
Where to Stay on Redang Island Malaysia
A view of Taaras Beach & Spa Resort, one of the places to stay on Redang Island. Source: packistnews.blogspot.com
Sari Pacifica Resort & Spa is another wonderful resort on the island. Source: packistnews.blogspot.com
Pulau Redang houses many five-star and luxurious accommodations that you can stay in, all which are lovely resorts perfect for an exclusive getaway. Below are some of the popular places to stay on the island:
- Taaras Beach & Spa Resort
- Coral Redang Island Resort
- Redang Beach Resort
- Laguna Redang Island Resort
- Redang Pelangi Resort
- Sari Pacifica Resort & Spa
Alternatively, if you happen to be on Lang Tengah Island, you could stay at our resort and travel to Redang Island from there.
Redang Island Package
Get the best holiday deals with Redang Island tour packages. Source: backpackingmalaysia.com
Rather than visiting Pulau Redang headlong, It is always easier to get a tour package as it is more economical and convenient. Popular Redang Island package includes:
- Holiday package, mainly for those looking at hotel stays and buffet meals
- Diving package, specially for divers with accommodation included
- Snorkelling package, for those who love to snorkel
Check with your travel agent or company on the specifics of each package before you purchase to get the best deal for your travel.
What to Eat at Redang Island Malaysia
Okay, this seafood at Hazeme Seafood Restaurant is enough to make us drool… Source: packistnews.blogspot.com
Overview of Bayu Bar at Taaras Beach. Source: thetaaras.com
The next thing you will think about after accommodation for your trip – FOOD! The good thing is, Redang Island has restaurants that serve really tasty dishes to satisfy your hungry tummies after a long day out. Here are some recommendations:
- Hazeme Seafood Restaurant, Teluk Dalam: For great and affordably priced seafood, known for yummy ikan bakar, wheelchair accessible
- Bayu Bar, Taaras Beach: Cool pizza place with a variety of alcohols for lunch and dinner, indoor and outdoor seating
- Aima Grill Fish Restaurant, Taaras Beach: Perfect place for all your meals, vegetarian friendly, serves seafood and Asian cuisine, outdoor seating
- Summer Point, Long Beach: For awesome dinners, serves mainly seafood and Asian cuisine, vegetarian friendly, takes reservations
- Chengkih Pool Bar, Long Beach: For those who want to drink the night away at a local bar/pub, outdoor seating, good for lunch and dinner
Tips to Redang Island Malaysia
It is always good to know what are the things to be careful of before visiting your travel destination. Source: lipstiq.com
Good preparation is key to a wonderful travel experience. Here are some important tips you should be aware of and things to be careful about prior to spending your holidays at Redang Island:
- Many resorts will be closed from November to February due to the monsoon period. It is advisable to travel after the monsoon season to get the most out of your trip there.
- Room reservations at resorts are usually open from March, however, some may be open for booking from February onwards so do check with the resort first.
- Redang Island weather can be quite unpredictable – the monsoon season may happen earlier or later than expected so plan your journey accordingly and keep watch of the weather forecast before travelling there.
- Try to travel during the time where there is little to no rain predicted as rainy days affect a lot of main activities such as boat trips, beach visits, diving and snorkelling.
- You could probably get cheaper room rates in October as it is near to the monsoon period.
- Make sure you bring enough cash and a credit card as there is no ATM on the island.
- Mobile phone coverage should be fine on the island – the local SIM card should work.
- Skimpy beachwear and bikinis are acceptable, however, do not go topless there. It is advisable for you to dress decently when participating in water activities.
How to Go Redang Island Malaysia
Pulau Redang map. Source: Department of Marine Park Malaysia
You can travel to Redang Island by plane or bus before taking a ferry or private chartered boat to get there.
The fastest and most convenient way is to take a domestic flight to Redang Island. Travelling from Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Terengganu airport takes about 55 minutes, while flying from Johor Bahru to Kuala Terengganu airport will take about 80 minutes.
Common flight timings to Redang airport:
AirAsia (KUL-TGG): 7.05am-7.55am
Firefly (SZB-TGG): 7.20am-8.20am
After your flight, take a 30-minute coach transfer or taxi ride to the Merang Jetty or Kuala Terengganu Shahbandar Jetty to the island.
You could consider travelling by bus or coach if you are okay with long travelling hours. Generally, a bus from Kuala Lumpur will take about 7 hours to reach the two Kuala Terengganu jetties. After that, travel by sea to reach Redang Island.
After reaching Kuala Terengganu, travel to Pulau Redang by sea via scheduled ferry or private ferry that is arranged by your travel resort.
For scheduled ferry, the arrival and departure timings are fixed to either Merang Jetty or Kuala Terengganu Shahbandar Jetty. Common ferry ride schedule is as follows:
From Merang Jetty: 9.30am
From Shahbandar Jetty: 9am, 10.30am, 3pm
For custom rides, check with your resort regarding private ferry services.
By private chartered boat
This is quite a popular mode of transportation, especially for a big group and those wishing to visit at their own timings. However, you will have to book in advance as this service may be fully reserved during peak seasons.
Want more than just Redang Island? Come explore Lang Tengah Island!
Welcome to Summer Bay Resort on Lang Tengah Island!
If you can’t get enough of island vacation, consider hopping over to Lang Tengah Island!
Lang Tengah Island is in the vicinity of Pulau Redang, and it is also a haven for divers, snorkelers and lovers of islands in general. Although less mentioned compared to Redang Island, its natural beauty is at par with the former island, including diving spots plus the rich flora and fauna varieties it offers.
If you ever visit Lang Tengah Island, you could consider spending a night or two at our resort for a relaxing stay. We provide tour packages to suit your holiday preferences – check out our packages for more info!
Your Perfect Getaway At Redang Island
Island vacations are one of the best ways to destress in life. Source: you.ctrip.com
Redang Island is a beautiful destination to visit in Malaysia and it is not without solid reason – with gorgeous views, wonderful marine biodiversity, luxurious resorts and fresh, delicious food, there’s so much to love about this fascinating place.
This article is brought to you by Summer Bay Resort. Hope this helps provide some insight to make your trip planning a little easier – Remember to like, share and comment if you enjoy reading this!